Wednesday, November 20, 2013

November 19th is Savion Glover Day!!!

November 19th is Savion Glover Day!!! 

I think the first time that I saw Savion dance was on a Sesame Street when I was a kid.  I remember seeing him and thinking I want to dance and move just like that!!!  I had seen a little bit of tap before in old movies and Broadway musicals that my grandparents showed me, but nothing like what Savion did!  Unfortunately for me no matter how much I wanted to take lessons and learn to dance when I was younger, my parents would never do it, so I didn't get to learn, but it did not sway my interest.  I later went onto to look-up the originals of tap and some of the great people that Savion actually learned from and looks up to and now I really wish I could learn, even later in my life!!!  The dance has evolved and "Tap" is one of my favorite movies!  Maybe one day I will get to learn and not just appreciate, but for now and always Savion and all the other greats deserve recognition and praise! "Born on November 19, 1973, in Newark, New Jersey, Savion Glover is a virtuosic tap dancer who made his Broadway debut at 12 in The Tap Dance Kid, followed by Black and Blue. He later worked with director George Wolfe on Jelly's Last Jam and Bring in ‘da Noise/Bring in ‘da Funk, for which Glover won a choreography Tony. A teacher as well, he has made appearances in a variety of television and film projects."Thank you Mr. Glover for all of your contributions and inspiration! Please click the link below and learn more about Savion Glover. :-) 

http://www.biography.com/people/savion-glover-40720

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEUO59hBt4Q&list=TLwMEzK9XKdsiqq40hrb0NOLZIzAgU3Zrn

"I feel like it's one of my responsibilities to keep the dance alive, to keep it out there, to keep the style." - Savion Glover

No comments:

Post a Comment